Platypus makes it easy to share scripts and programs with people who are
unfamiliar with the command line interface. Native, user-friendly
applications can be created with a few clicks. It is very easy to
create installers, droplets, administrative applications, login items,
status menu items, launchers and automations using Platypus.
- Apps can display graphical feedback of script execution as progress bar, text window with script output, droplet, WebKit HTML rendering or status item menu
- Apps support receiving dragged and dropped files or text snippets, which are then passed to the script as arguments
- Apps can execute scripts with root privileges via the macOS Security Framework
- Apps can register as handlers for URI schemes
- Apps can be configured to run in the background (LSUIElement)
- Set own application icon or select from presets
- Set app's associated file types, identifier, version, author, etc.
- Graphical interface for bundling support files with the script
- Command line tool for automation and build process integration
- "Profiles" can be used to save app configurations
- Built-in script editor, or linking with external editor of choice
- Extensive documentation and many built-in examples to help you get started
- Fast, responsive native app written in Objective-C/Cocoa
Platypus is free, open source software distributed under the terms of the three-clause BSD license and has been continually maintained and developed for a very long time (since 2003). It is written in Objective-C/Cocoa. The source code is available on GitHub.
If Platypus makes your life easier, please make a donation to support continued development.
The latest version is Platypus 5.3, released on November 25th, 2018. Platypus and Platypus-generated applications require macOS 10.8 or later, and are 64-bit Intel binaries. The main Platypus application is Apple Developer ID signed (sigh)...
If you want to target 10.6 and/or 32-bit systems, version 4.9 continues to work just fine. If you want to target 10.4 and PowerPC, you can use version 4.4.
Platypus lets you select one of several different user interfaces for your script.