"Replaces the system default DMG mounting application; is better in every way."
- Some Guy on the Internet
FastDMG is a free macOS utility to mount
.dmg and other disk images quickly, without any unneeded nonsense. It is a very fast and reliable alternative to Apple's annoying DiskImageMounter.
- Doesn't waste your precious time verifying disk images
- Auto-accepts annoying end user license agreements
- Runs in the background (doesn't show up in the Dock)
- Displays no windows or menus and stays out of your way
- Multithreaded, can concurrently mount several images
- Disk image document icons continue to look the same
- Handles all disk image types supported by DiskImageMounter (dmg, iso, toast, etc.)
FastDMG is actually a minimal wrapper around the
hdiutil command line tool that ships with macOS and therefore uses Apple's private DiskImages framework indirectly.
I've personally used FastDMG for many years and it works really well. It is free, open source software and has a home on GitHub. If you like it, feel free to make a donation.
How to use
- Move FastDMG.app to your Applications folder
- Select a
.dmg file in the Finder and press Cmd-I to show the Get Info window
- Select FastDMG under "Open with:"
- Press "Change All..."
FastDMG will then take care of mounting
.dmg disk images when they're opened in the Finder. You can do the same for
.toast and any other disk images supported by FastDMG.
1.0.1 - 07/04/2019
- App is now Developer ID signed
- Now built with support for Mojave Dark Mode
1.0 - 23/05/2018